This tropics-inspired Strawberry Piña Colada Pie made its debut at the inaugural Rev event in Indianapolis. Rev, a fundraiser for the Methodist Health Foundation and Indiana University Health, brought in more than forty restaurants and caterers, five bands and two celebrity chefs to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A food-centered event for a cause? Count us in!
We served up this pie all evening, and the top Indy 500 drivers gave it a thumbs up. We think you’ll love it, too! The homemade snickerdoodle crust is slightly soft, and coconut cream pudding with crushed pineapple make for a sweet and flavorful filling. Topped with strawberries and whipped cream, this pie is a fresh addition to any dessert table. Make this for your Mother’s Day get-together this weekend, or simply to enjoy yourself.
Strawberry Piña Colada Pie
2 ¾ c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ c. granulated sugar
½ c. butter, room temperature
½ c. shortening
½ tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
3 tbsp. whole milk (to roll dough in-mix together in small bowl)
3 tbsp. granulated sugar (to sprinkle on dough)
3 tsp. cinnamon (to sprinkle on dough)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl with mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium-high speed for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, mixing after each addition, then milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cream of tartar, salt and cinnamon.
- Set mixer at low speed, and slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Chill dough for 1 hour. Once dough is chilled, scoop out 1 ¼ cups of dough and press into bottom and halfway up side of 9×9 square or 9-inch pie pan.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle the dough generously.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until done.
- Let crust cool completely before adding pie filling.
- You can scoop out the rest of the dough and roll in cinnamon sugar to make snickerdoodle cookies, or make an extra crust.
Filling and Topping
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2 oz. milk
Coconut cream pudding (3.4oz. box)
8 oz. crushed pineapple (undrained)
1 oz. pecans (chopped)
2 c. whipped cream, plus more for piping
¼ c. coconut flakes (toasted)
1 1/4 c. sliced strawberries (may be sweetened with sugar if desired)
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until blended.
- Add dry pudding mix and pineapple, and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in whipped cream and pecans, and mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared snickerdoodle crust.
- Refrigerate until firm (at least 3 hours).
- Garnish with strawberries in center of pie, then pipe outside the strawberries with extra whipped cream.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes on piped whipped cream.
- Keep refrigerated.