Kids Activity: Rainbow Rocks
This activity requires prep time and overnight setting.
- 1 cup Clabber Girl Baking Soda
- ¼ c. + 2 Tbsp water
- 1 gal Vinegar
- Watercolor Magic liquid watercolor (we chose Sargent Art®)
- Rubber gloves
- Paper towels (for cleanup)
- Parchment paper
- Plastic gold coins
- 2 large mixing bowls (we chose clear to show color)
- Baking sheet or dry surface for drying
This recipe yields 5-6 rocks. These Rainbow Rocks are easy and enjoyable for children of all ages.
- Gather all ingredients.
- In one of the large mixing bowls, add baking soda. Slowly add water. Mixture should be moldable but not too wet.
- Cover hands with rubber gloves. Add watercolor drops to soda water mixture. Massage soda mixture with your hands, adding color as you go until desired color is achieved.
- While mixture is still moist, put a small amount of mixture into your hand. Take one plastic gold coin and place in the middle of the mixture. Continue to pat mixture in hands until a medium rock shape forms and the gold coin is hidden.
- Cover a cookie sheet or flat surface with parchment paper. Please rocks on top of parchment paper to dry overnight.
- After rocks have completely dried, do with them what you wish! We thought it would be fun to hide these in the yard and have children search for them. You could also simply use these as a quick kitchen table experiment.
- Using another clean large bowl, fill with vinegar until bowl is 2-quarters full. One at a time, drop Rainbow Rocks in and wait for the surprise.